Sunday, August 28, 2011

Table light shades v. 01.01c

The other week I drew up a plan to design and realize new projects; this is the first in the series, with the first series based on simple geometry, designed around Ikea fixtures.  In this case, utilizing Ikea 14" Hemma and Ikea Sparsam bare CFL bulb (E12 - narrow base), first by building from scratch, SketchUp models.  Neither were in 3DWarehouse, so I had to create my own; I posted the Hemma model here, and the Sparsam model here.  These models are each under 200KB, so as not to create a buildup of size in a model -- something I notice is a problem with most people who have created models in SU and populated 3DWarehouse.

These photo-realistic renderings were made utilizing (the always free and recently updated) Kerkythea Boost x64 on my new machine with an Intel quad-core i7-2720qm running Win7 x64, using Nvidia's 555GT with Optimus.  Edited in Photoshop to add watermark and title.

The Boost version of Kerkythea made a huge difference in rendering times, but so does the new GPU / CPU engine in this workstation-class laptop.

It's going to require some modifications, but I really like the direction of this design and I think I'm going to get it prototyped shortly.




No comments:

Post a Comment