Sunday, December 13, 2015

3D Prints

I got my 3D prints back from Shapeways, a few days ago, and I think they look fabulous!

The first set, snowflakes, are made up of three separately printed parts. The main body is Shapeways' metallic plastic, the centerpieces are yellow strong and flexible, polished and red strong and flexible, polished plastic. There are some minor edits that I need to do on the models, as there was dimensional expansion during printing, such that I had to sand down the centerpieces to fit into the main body. The overall size is 5" tall x 4.5" wide x 1/4" thick. Preliminary pricing is about $55, which is completely reasonable for something that can't be found anywhere, but I'm not making this available until next year, as I'm planning on adding a few other designs and making some minor modifications to the current 3D files.

The second set, are single-piece prints of my 3D representations of my 2D dog holiday card print series. While these particular prints are large at 6" long x 4" wide x 3 1/2" tall, I'm planning on making smaller versions of these, to be printed out in metal (steel). Like the snowflake series, there are additional designs that I'm planning on adding, and as such, I won't be making these available until next year. I'm currently building up a series of 2D dog designs for cards and other materials on Cafepress and Moo, and once that's done, I'm going to translate those to 3D. The goal is to have a dozen dogs.

Not bad, don't you think, for my very first, ever, 3D prints?









No comments:

Post a Comment